Monday, July 2, 2007

Web Design

In yet another transformation of roles I have begun designing for the web. The project of brining the website up-to-speed is going to be enormous, and the current state of the site is so abhorrent that we need a quick-fix before we can begin the comprehensive re-design. Although I was a little uncertain of what the results would be, I volunteered to present a few designs for an interim site. My GIMP skills were a little rusty, but the results have been stunning! In just one week I have produced a new color scheme and navigational framework that have been approved for the site. Working closely with the CEO this week has been grueling, but will be invaluable for the long-term project. The biggest challenge to making this interim site effective, and the comprehensive re-design more manageable will be to imbue the site with a clean, consistent structure. To this end I have been reading Information Architecture best practices, reviewing SEO conventions, and editing (then re-editing) category trees for our content.
With luck my designs will be live on the web by the end of July, and I can pick-up with project management planning and execution of a full corporate website re-design.

No comments: