Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hack 'till it hurts

Lastnight was a marathon Wordpress hacking session.
*/Breif History/*
After starting with lofty ambitions of Building a Wordpress Theme from Scratch, then giving up on Worpress themes altogether and going back to the warm comfort of Dreamweaver - last night I found the happy medium that feels like home.
*/end/*
I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of the default 'Kubrick' theme (which I had already hacked to bits once before) and began working carefully to modify it piece-by-piece being mindful of staying within my means.
I had great success adding a new footer div that spans the entire width of the page, no sweat. I can really feel my CSS skilz growing stronger every day.

Four hours later it was looking really good, but getting late...
I spent entirely too long looking at wp_codex in a vain attempt to make my monthly archives display in a clean, neat European-style date (mm.dd.yy) instead of the cloddy full_month_name year format. Changing those settings for the blog itself was as simple as looking at PHP date parameters, but getting that to display in the sidebar as 'Archives' is another story. Around 1am I ended up just opting to display the yearly archive, and went to bed with a smile on my face thinking about what the future holds for echo{Ability}.

(falling in love with Wordpress, one late-night session at a time)

No comments: